Review: NARS Satin Lip Pencils [Swatches & LOTD]
If you have been following me on Instagram, you would probably already know that I am a big fan of the NARS Satin Lip Pencils. These just launched in Tangs Beauty Hall on 1 April and I picked up 4 after swatching for what seemed like forever.
Here’s the 4 I got – Luxemborg, Majella, Yu and Isola Bella.
When I saw the swatches online, I knew I had to get a red since I’m going through a “red phase” at the moment. Starting with the Giorgio Armani Lip Maestros. So Majella was an easy pick. Was intending to only get 2 colors, a red and a nude… of course, who am I kidding! I would never leave with only 2 colors. :p
The only other “pencil” like lip color I’ve got are the Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stains. Those are beautiful but very sheer. I believe the Clinique chubby sticks are also fairly sheer. These are entirely different! They are so creamy and pigmented I was immediately sold at first swatch!
All 4 pencils are very VERY pigmented and can be worn full on or as a stain just by dabbing lightly on the lips. They also have a satin finish, akin to a gloss but without the sticky glossy feel.
Why I love these pencils:
- Staying power – these stay on pretty well and even Isola Bella leaves behind a slight stain – my lips but better type color
- Texture – extremely creamy and pigmented so a little goes a long way. I guess this makes up for the loss product when you sharpen the pencil
- Range of color – I like how even the nude shades are pigmented and do not give a “dry” look to the lips like most other liquid lipsticks and pencils.
- The price is reasonable for the quality – especially with Tangs Citibank 10% discount. Normal retail price is $37 each.
What annoys me about these pencils:
- Why do I have to sharpen them myself?!! It’s not the sharpening that I detest, but the cleaning of the sharpener. It’s such a pain to clean them out!
- Related to the first point, if it had a twist up function, chances of me breaking the tip is less. I had blindly “chopped” my Yu in half by misaligning the cap when trying to close it. #butterfingers
Watch my full review here! Please support by subscribing to my channel. It’s free!
Here are some swatches with full face make-up. Lots of “in your face” shots alert!! (lighting was awesome so everything was true to color)
PS: My face looked a little lighter than my neck and body because I was testing out the Cle De Peau brightening powder foundation and the sample color was too light for me.
Did you pick up any of these satin lip pencils? What’s your favorite color?