REVIEW: ESTEE LAUDER MICRO ESSENCE SKIN ACTIVATING TREATMENT LOTION
About a month ago, I mentioned in one of my Instagram pictures that I was trying out a new Asia Exclusive skincare item. After 4 weeks of trial, I can finally give you my thoughts on the product. Estee Lauder will be launching a brand new Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion, which is Asia exclusive.
The formula of the Micro Essence was developed specifically for Asian women. The specially formulated micro nutrient bio-ferment mirrors extremophiles’ natural ability to thrive in some of the harshest environments on Earth and activates skin’s multiple pro-youth functions. The Estee Lauder Micro Essence is said to:
- Nourish skin with vital micro-nutrients and peptites that penetrates skin cells to help intensely nourish and energize skin.
- Penetrates deeply within skin’s surface, delivering intense hydration.
- Works with biochemistry for optimum absorption and effect.
- Strengthen skin’s foundation, reduce surface imperfections and reveal a youthful, angelic glow from within skin.
“Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion supports skin’s natural activation of multiple anti-aging pathways, empowering it’s resistance to visible signs of aging”
Look and Feel:
- It is a light, crystal-clear liquid
- I did not detect any scents, which is good for people who are sensitive to scented products.
I know… the name is pretty intimidating and slightly confusing. Let me attempt to answer a few questions that you might ask.
Is it an Essence or Lotion?
An essence is nothing but a lighter, less concentrated version of a serum. We all know that serums are designed to target specific problems, such as providing extra hydration, whitening and anti-aging. It is also meant to aid in the absorption of your moisturizer, which is usually the step after a serum. This product is neither an essence nor a lotion. It is an essence-in-lotion, delivering serum-like properties in a watery lotion.
What does Skin Activating Treatment Lotion mean anyway?
Before I touch on the subject, let me first explain the difference between Asian and Western skincare routines.
- A typical Western skincare routine includes the following steps:
Cleanser -> Toner -> Serum -> Moisturiser
- A typical Asian skincare routine includes the following steps:
Cleanser -> Softener -> Serum -> Moisturiser
As far as I understand based on my experience with various Asian skincare brands, the main difference between a toner and a softener is that toner consists of astringent properties and it is recommended to be applied immediately after cleansing to lock in the moisture by closing up the pores, before the skin starts drying up. It is also often used as a second step to cleansing.
A softener, on the other hand, is a lotion with skin refining properties such as hydration, which aids in keeping moisture in the skin for an extended period of time. Very often, these softeners are made to penetrate deep into the skin’s epidermis so that subsequent steps like serums and moisturisers will be absorbed at the most optimum levels.
The Estee Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion is meant to work the same way as a softener. Which penetrates deep into the skin and locks in moisture.
So, yes! Substitute your regular toner with this, making it the first step after cleansing.
Developed, Tested, Proven for Asian Skin
Rigorously tested on Asian women in Asia, NEW Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion achieves multiple skin benefits to awaken skin’s inner beauty. This advanced, high-performance “essence-in-lotion” is proven to improve on these nine characteristics of a youthful, angelic glow:
- Clear, translucent skin
- Youthful radiance
- Even-toned skin
- Refined texture
- Smooth, supple and silky to the touch
- Stronger barrier
- Skin is calm
- Reduced fine, dry lines
- Hydrated skin
My overall thoughts:
- I love how light the lotion was and how quickly it absorbs into the skin. Unlike some lotions that tend to sit on my face and I very often have to “fan” them dry before applying serums.
- Since I have normal to dry skin, I can’t comment on it’s oil control properties. I have however experienced it’s hydrating properties.
- After about 4 weeks of use, I started to notice a glow on my skin and the redness around my nose becoming less evident.
- The pores on my nose also shrunk in size and became less visible.
- The biggest difference I noted was around the corners of my eyes. It felt firmer and lifted. The fine lines in that area also diminished.
On the whole, it is a pretty good product, especially if you are just using a regular toner. This would be a powered-up version of that with the ability to provide hydration, battle fine lines, smooth the complexion and also give you a radiant youthful angelic glow.
The Estee Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion will be available nationwide in Singapore from today and a 125ml bottle will retail for $140.
Disclaimer: Products featured were provided to me for review consideration. I am not affiliated to them and all opinions expressed are my own.